Birdnotes

Sightings listed for the Southeastern Vermont Audubon Society

Saturday, October 16, 2010

{BIRD NOTES} October 16, 2010

Pileated Woodpecker & Common Loon © Paul Miller

 

 

Bird Notes

 

 

The following sightings are a little late, since we have been out of state for over 2 weeks. No, we didn’t miss all the rain. We only had 6 days that we were able to enjoy the sun. One of those days was the day we arrived in New York and another was the day we left for home.

 

September Birds

 

I was very pleased to see my first Red-breasted Nuthatch at my Orchard Street feeder September 8; no sighting of it this week. Enjoyed the Putney Mtn. Hawk Watch Friday midday September 10; those broadwings must have darkened the sky after I left!  

---Karen Davis, W. Brattleboro, VT

 

 

A gorgeous pileated woodpecker spent some time on several of our easily viewed trees this afternoon, in spite of the rain. 

---Judy Myrick, Brattleboro, VT

 

 

 

Just thought that I would share a couple of the birds I saw this week. We were in Bar Harbor with a group of our church young people. The loon is an immature. I think the parents have already gone to the ocean. The pileated  was feeding on the berries at the campground we stayed at. (See attachments).

---Paul Miller, Vernon, VT

 

 

Lots of birding activity around home this past week!

Tufted Titmouse, House Wren ,Dark-eyed Junco, Song Sparrow , Chipping Sparrow, Robin, Crow, Sharp- shinned Hawk, Cedar Waxwing, Purple Finch, Ruffed Grouse, Wild Turkey, Woodcock, American Goldfinch, Evening Grosbeak, Gray Catbird, Ovenbird, Swainson’s Thrush, Phoebe, Chickadee, Blue Jay, Mourning Dove, Ruby-throated Hummingbird (last sighting), Red-eyed Vireo, Red-breasted and White-breasted Nuthatches, Downy and Hairy Woodpeckers, waiting for more fall migrants.

---Barbara Cole, Wilmington, VT

 

 

Happy to report that between 4-6 evening grosbeaks have been eating at my feeders this week along with the regulars – chickadees, goldfinches, a single white-breasted nuthatch and some juncos, who eat the seed that falls from the feeders.  Several young turkeys also come by for spilled seed several times a week.  I took my hummingbird feeder down a couple of weeks ago when the locals seemed to have departed only to be buzzed recently by what I assumed was a migrating hummer.  So I’ve put the feeder back up just in case some other migrants need a rest stop.

---Molly Martin, Marlboro, VT

 

 

 

 

Ever have one of those days that make you love your job?  Today my big brown truck took me all across southern Vermont. Among my day I spotted 11 American Kestrels.  This route normally has Kestrels, but 11 takes the cake.  I would say most were first years.  All were spotted on wires.  The 7 in Readsboro were all together amongst a T of wires.

 

2 on Ginny Morse rd. Whitingham 

7 on West Hill rd. Readsboro 

1 on Kentfield rd Whitingham  

1 on Burrington Hill rd Whitingham

 

---Scott Moody, Guilford, VT

 

 

 

I was running down Bonnyvale Road last week and flushed an enormous dark bird from right over my head. I stopped and watched as a golden eagle flapped off over the brook and disappeared toward Guilford. I was doubting my eyes, figuring it must have been a juvenile bald, but I checked the range maps, and goldens do winter here. It clearly decided not to do so right on Bonnyvale Road, though!

 

Hmm, I did not see any white on the bird at all. There was a definite golden tinge to the head and tail. No white at all on the back (no white tail band), but I did not see the belly clearly. It was HUGE, but when I flushed it, I expected to see a crow, so who knows about the actual size. Birds often seem bigger than they are, especially when they startle you!

===Paula Melton, Brattleboro, VT

 

 

 

 

PROGRAM NOTE

 

Don’t forget to mark your calendars for the upcoming program on the Galapagos Islands at 7 p.m. Tuesday, in the meeting room of the Brook’s Library

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Please share your birding news with us.

What have you got coming to your feeders?

Are there any birds nesting in your yard?

What have you seen while on a trip?

Drop us an e-mail chpmnkx@sover.net

 

Al Merritt

W. Brattleboro, VT

chpmnkx@sover.net

http://sevtaudubonbirdnotes.blogspot.com/

~~~~~~~~~~

A friend is someone who reaches for your hand

and touches your heart.

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home