Birdnotes

Sightings listed for the Southeastern Vermont Audubon Society

Tuesday, December 09, 2008

BIRD NOTES ~ December 9, 2008

 

Bird Notes

 

 

From Moose Bog to the Marina

From the NE Kingdom,12/6, one N. Shrike perched on top of a spruce tree along RT 114 north of East Haven, 12 Evening Grosbeaks in a conifer just west of the entrance to Moose Bog on RT. 105, 2 Gray Jays found me in Moose Bog, 1 Winter Wren near the parking area at Moose Bog, 1 Pileated WP seen from Moose Bog trail, and I heard the wings of grouse taking off a few times as I walked Moose Bog trail, but only got one glimpse of a dark bird as it disappeared into the conifers.

 

Today, birding the field and swampy areas behind the Marina Restaurant in Brattleboro......a large flock of sparrows which included ~35 tree Sparrow, 6 White Throated Sp, 1 Savannah Sp, several Song Sp, and to my surprise 1 Field Sp.

 

While I was observing the sparrows a flock of 9 Pine Siskins landed in the grasses with the sparrows, picked around a bit, and flew off. There was also a flock of ~15 Cedar Waxwings and 3 Bluebirds perched in a tree along the road as I left. Last Sunday there was 1 Carolina Wren present, but no luck today.

---Dave Johnston, W. Brattleboro, VT

 

 

Early this morning (12/5) there were 20 - 30 Pine Siskins feeding on the ground under my feeder.  They far exceeded the number of Goldfinches! Also this morning, an Eastern Towhee passed through the backyard.  Isn't it a bit late?  Do you usually get them on the Christmas Count?

*(This is an unusually late date for a Towhee)

---Nori Howe, W. Brattleboro, VT

 

 

I have a female Red-Bellied Woodpecker that infrequently visits my feeder. She seems to be quite wary.
---Steve Medved, Putney, Vermont

 

 

I had a red-belly pecking at the base of the tree that holds the feeder today (11/30)- sounds like they are around, but why now?

*(Natural feeding habits are probably being affected by the cold weather and bringing them in to feeders)

---Burt Tepfer, Putney, VT

 

 

I've had a female Red-bellied Woodpecker at my feeder the past two days(11/30)- hasn't stayed long enough for a photo, but now I have my camera ready.  I've never seen one in my 3 years in Putney.

---Pat Shields, Putney, VT

 

 

Please keep us abreast of what birds you are seeing, whether at home or on a trip in or out of the Windham County area.

 

Al Merritt

W. Brattleboro, VT

chpmnkx@sover.net

 

 

A friend is someone who reaches for your hand

and touches your heart.

 

 

 

 

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home