Birdnotes

Sightings listed for the Southeastern Vermont Audubon Society

Friday, December 11, 2009

BIRD NOTES ~ December 11, 2009

Bald Eagle with GW Teal at Brigantine © Mike DeBonis

 

Bird Notes

 

Hinsdale Owl

My uncle mentioned to me today that he saw a white owl with dark spots behind his house in Hinsdale. Perhaps there's a snowy owl in the area. ---Charlie La Rosa, Brattleboro, VT

*note: Anyone living in the vicinity of Oxbow Road, Hinsdale, NH, should be alert for this owl. Snowy or Barred Owl either one would be a good find.

 

 

Fooled by November’s Warmth

Two o’clock Friday afternoon.

Summit of Mt. Wantastiquet.

Wind chill 4 degrees F.

A flock of geese were struggling southward

going in and out of formation.

Better late than never.

---Mark Mikolas, Brattleboro, VT

 

 

Plum Island Ducks

The woods, streams and lakes are quiet, except for the Canada Geese on the Retreat Meadows. Suffering from acute birding withdrawal I drove to Plum Island on Dec 6. It was a bright day. There were plenty of ducks and other water birds on the pools but photography was difficult, since the low winter sun was in my eyes most of the day. I did get some good photos though of Gadwalls. Here is my report: http://preview.tinyurl.com/yh8etch

---Hilke Breder, Brattleboro, VT 

 

 

Bald Eagle with GW Teal

On Saturday, November 28th, 2009, I went to photograph the Ivory Gull at Cape May. After having my fill of taking pictures of this very cooperative visitor, I decided to stop at E.B. Forsythe NWR (Brigantine) on my way home. I was at the end of my first go around when I saw a Bald Eagle in the water. My first thought was that it had caught a very large fish and could not lift it from the water. Well to my surprise, the Bald Eagle had taken a Green-winged Teal.
Please enjoy the attached photo and the photos at the following link:
http://www.howardsview.com/EagleAndTeal/EagleAndTeal.html
---Mike DeBonis

 

 

West Brattleboro Fox Sparrow

The Wednesday snowstorm brought in 10 additional Dark-eyed Juncos and a lone FOX SPARROW to our feeders here at Chipmunk Crossing. They joined the regular Chickadees, Tufted Titmice, Downy & Hairy Woodpeckers, WB Nuthatches and a pair of Cardinals.

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Brattleboro Christmas Bird Count

Saturday, December 19, 2009

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I know that you care about the birds or you wouldn’t be reading this. I am sure that most of you have bird feeding stations and take note of what birds are enjoying the suet, mixed seed, thistle seed or sunflower seeds, that you supply them. They can use the extra help now that the snow has arrived and the frigid temperatures are upon us. We could also use your help counting those birds on the 19th and you don’t even have to leave the comfort of your homes or spend all day doing it.

    Just check your feeders as you normally do and make note of the birds that you see. Then mark down the highest number of each that you observe. For example: If you see one chickadee, then later see 3 chickadees, you would report the high count of 3. You can start and stop counting at any time. I only ask that you send an e-mail of your totals to me, Al Merritt, chpmnkx@sover.net

Please include your name and address so that we can add your totals to the proper areas.

Thank You!

   

Please keep us abreast of what birds you are seeing, whether at home or on a trip in or out of the Windham County area.

Al Merritt

W. Brattleboro, VT

chpmnkx@sover.net

 

A friend is someone who reaches for your hand

 and touches your heart.

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home